Friday, April 10, 2009

Just what is a furlog?


A furlog, like a jackalope, consists of two entities smashed together for the sake of NewSpeak expediency. Like Orwell in "1984," I don't have the time to mess around with two separate words when one will do.


So Furlough + blog = Furlog.


Like many in the news business, I've been put to pasture, although I count myself amongst the lucky ones that my time is temporary -- at least for now.


And because I'm unencumbered by money and obligation for the time, I've wondered how I can live this time usefully, so there's merit rather than dawdling.


Over the next 11 days, I'll share what happens with me during time unrestricted by travel, expectations, guidelines -- or money. Areas of concentration shall be:


-- Reading.

-- Writing.

-- Some food in moderation.

-- Wine whines.


Please, do not expect import in any of these matters as years of journalism have created an ultimate generalist: I can talk about 200 subjects 2 inches deep; but not one subject 200 inches deep.


That's exactly what leaves me wondering if I can be better, in anyway, after my imposed time to contemplate and to do.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that one should commit to following something that is already known to be ending before it's hardly begun. But that's probably a summary of my life and character thus far, so here I am! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can talk about 200 subjects 2 inches deep; but not one subject 200 inches deep." this is so true of all journalists. Well, most. Interesting blog, Rich. I hope the days off are refreshing (?)

    ReplyDelete