Saturday, April 18, 2009

Outside: an exigesis in play


It's fun to play outside.

As usual, my little girl boiled down the day to its most simple form.

I picked her up in Indianapolis, where we shared our usual daddy-daughter lunch and invariable stop at the book store.

We visited what she calls "the hippie store" n Valparaiso and generally spent out time on the go.

And she begged me the whole time to have a sports day, so with our time left, we played catch and enjoyed our version of "pepper," a baseball variant of hot potato.

That's what the fun of the day came down to, playing outside. That's what she'll member.

I shouldn't forget one of the great lessons she taught me previously. On her first weekend visit with me after I moved to Valparaiso, we took the train to Chicago and went to the American Girl store. There, we over-payed for hairstyles, food and other useless mini-baubles. We ate more in the top of a high rise, and after getting home to Valparaiso went to an arcade. Then, that night, as we snuggled on the couch, I introduced her to "The Three Stooges," particularly the vernacular. When she went to bed that night, I gave the usual benediction to the little girl I love so much. "Goodnight, chowderhead," she said.

Of course, I literally fell over laughing and couldn't stop. I saw in her that teary-eyed response I enjoyed as a child, when I made an adult laugh the same way.

The next day, as we readied for "the switch" as divorced parents call it, I asked her what was the favorite part of her trip. "When I called you chowderhead and you laughed and fell over," she said without pausing.

It wasn't about money. It wasn't about doing. Our memories are about the simplest bonding a daddy and daughter can do. And I forget that but she brings me back.

I'm adding some photos of her, as she writes in her new journal (with new feather pen) before bedtime. She's designing clothes and accessories in this new journal, a favorite because it's covered in the "peace" sign and at 8 years old she's a determined pacifist.

I also add a photo of from French thyme I bought at Penzey's in Indianapolis, the best spices you can buy. But it makes me nervous to travel when I buy an ounce of dried green herbs in a clear plastic bag and then spend a couple hours on the freeway.

And indeed, it is fun to play outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment